INTRODUCTION- CHANGE OF COMPANY NAME IN CAMEROON
Every individual, firm, or corporation that has a place of business in Cameroon can engage in the procedure for change of company name in Cameroon at The Trade and Personal Property Credit Registry in compliance with the legal requirements for changing company name in Cameroon.
When considering starting a business in Cameroon, there are two options to be considered, the option of incorporating a company (Private Limited Liability or Public Liability Company) or operating as a Registered Enterprise. An enterprise name upon registration does not contain the words “limited”, “group”, “PLC” etc.
PROCEDURE FOR CHANGING COMPANY NAME IN CAMEROON
There is a plethora of reasons why an individual would consider engaging in the process for a change of company name in Cameroon mostly because there are limitations to the advantages and benefits enjoyed by a registered name, and the most prominent reason would be for the purpose of expansion of business objects or for projecting a more professional image.
The legal requirements for the change of company name in Cameroon are as follows:
- The applicant will make a formal application for a change of company name in Cameroon to the Registrar in Chief of The Trade and Personal Property Credit Registry and also attach the Original Incorporation Certificate to the application.
- Where the application is made on behalf of the proprietor of the company, an authorization letter from the shareholders/director will be attached alongside the formal application to the Registrar.
- The applicant for the change of a company name in Cameroon will be submitted with evidence of up-to-date payment of tax /declarations.
- The procedure for change of company name in Cameroon requires the applicant should make a payment for stamp duty of the new company profile at the taxation stamp duty registry and The Trade and Personal Property Credit Registry.
- When all this is satisfied and submitted, they would be transferred to the office of the Chief of The Trade and Personal Property Credit Registry, who would grant consent for approval when satisfied with the application, but where it is queried, approval will not be given.
- Finally, when approval for change of company name is given, the applicant will be issued a new incorporation certificate duly stamped resolutions, and amended articles of association.
With all the aforesaid, a shareholder looking to change the company name must ensure compliance. An applicant should follow the steps enunciated above for that purpose or contact any accredited lawyer for assistance with the change of address.
Article by Barr. Mafany victor Ngando
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.