INTRODUCTION TO LIQUOR LICENSING IN CAMEROON
A liquor license in Cameroon is an authorization given to an individual (national or foreign) or corporate body to run either an off snack bar, an on the license snack bar, Night club, or a Restaurant where alcoholic drinks, non-alcohol drinks, wine, whisky, cocktail, and beverages are sold to the public. The laws regulating the grant of liquor licensing in Cameroon are The Constitution, Law No: 96/012 of 5th August 1999, Law No 90/054 of 19th December 1990, and Decree No 90/1483 of 9th November 1990. The regulatory agency ensures that all documents required for liquor licensing in Cameroon are in accordance with all the above-cited legislations.
LIQUOR LICENSE IN CAMEROON
For a successful grant of a liquor license in Cameroon, applicants should take into account the following consideration;
- Applicant (Cameroonian or foreigner) must be above 18
- Applicant must show proof of no-crime record
- Applicant must show proof that the premises of the snack bar are suitable (security outlet and good hygiene facilities).
- Applicant must prove that the license is in the public interest.
- Applicants must show that the grant of liquor licensing in Cameroon will not prejudice residents of residential areas, school children below 18, older persons, and religious institutions.
The Cameroon law requires an applicant to present documents ranging from the company, taxation, health, hygiene, criminal record, and personal identification documents for a grant of a liquor license in Cameroon. Here is a non-exhausted list required :
- Non–conviction /non-crime certificate
- Medical certificate
- Certificate of residence
- Copy of National identity card or passport
- Taxpayers card
- Attestation of non-indebtedness
- Articles of association (activities like sales of drinks in snack or night club)
- Hygiene certificate of the premises
- Attestation of localization
- Company registration certificate
- Fiscal stamps.
Thereafter a licensed Corporate Attorney / Notary is expected to file for authorization for a liquor license in Cameroon. It is worth noting that if the application for a grant of liquor licensing in Cameroon is not complete and properly constituted, the same will be rejected to the detriment of the investor.
A valid license must have an authorization number, category of license, name & address of the snack bar, duration to operate and be signed by a competent administrator.
Interestingly corporate practice remains one of our sector’s strengths. We are more than competent to navigate through the entire process for a grant of a liquor license in Cameroon diligently and within a reasonable time so your bar, snack bar, night club or restaurant can go operational.
Article by Barr. Mafany Victor Ngando
‘‘The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances