INTRODUCTION TO AFFIDAVIT OF SPONSORSHIP IN CAMEROON
An affidavit of sponsorship in Cameroon is a document you will have to submit at the embassy alongside the other documents. The affidavit of sponsorship is required in cases when the applicant will not be covering his or her travel expenses, but instead, a sponsor will provide financial support in paying for the trip accommodation, food, and more abroad.
The affidavit of sponsorship in Cameroon is written by the sponsor, who explains their relationship with the applicant, and the costs they are going to cover. In order for the affidavit to be valid, it must be attached to documents that prove the availability of the funds, and the identity of the sponsor and notarized by a notary public.
STRUCTURE OF AN AFFIDAVIT OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT IN CAMEROON
The affidavit should introduce the name and other personal details of the sponsor (nationality, occupation, address,) the relationship with the applicant, and the reasons for sponsoring the applicant. The affidavit of sponsorship in Cameroon should give information on the expenses to be covered and show proof of the availability of the sponsorship funds. Do not forget to mention the attached supporting documents to the affidavit of financial support which must be signed by a notary public.
Many several different types of affidavits vary considerably according to the intended purpose. Testimonies/affidavits can be helpful in many scenarios.
Apart from an affidavit of sponsorship in Cameroon, here are some of the common affidavit uses/types.
- Court affidavits. Even though a court trial typically involves witnesses in court to give oral evidence, there may be times when an affidavit may be used in a legal proceeding, such as for supporting written motions or if the witness isn’t able to appear in court.
- Power of attorney affidavit. Power of attorney is an authorized document signed by an individual, called the principal. This document provides the agent, another person, the power to act on behalf of the principal. However, this control ends if the principal revokes the POA or dies. Therefore, before the third-party acts, the agent might need to sign an affidavit declaring that a power of attorney is in effect and that the principal hasn’t revoked a power of attorney or died.
- Lost document affidavit. If a critical legal document is destroyed or lost, it can often be established again with an affidavit. For instance, you can re-establish a promissory note if it gets destroyed or lost by implementing an affidavit of indemnity agreement and a lost promissory notice. This allows the other party to depend on your assurance that you will reimburse them in the event of economic losses.
- Financial affidavit. Financial affidavits verify specific financial info concerning the affiant. For example, these testimonies/affidavits are prevalent in divorce cases, where both parties must verify their debts, expenses, income, assets, and real estate.
- Single status affidavit. An affidavit of single status confirms the marital status of an individual. For example, before a marriage is signed between parties, they are required to show proof they have no existing marriage via an affidavit.
AFFIDAVIT SPONSORSHIP DOCUMENTS
- National identity card
- Bank statement
- Admission letter (if applicable)
- Company registration papers/Tax card (if applicable)
- Copy of landed property (if applicable)
An affidavit of sponsorship is a legal document and as such only Notary, Public officers are authorized by law to notarize same. In this light, we encourage applicants to brief a notary who shall advise the required documents depending on each case and also impress his seal of truth and international recognition.
Article by Barr. Mafany Victor Ngando
“The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstance”